Hypnosis Benefits For Weight Loss
Clinical hypnotherapy and medical hypnosis can help you lose weight without dieting or restrictive eating. With over 70% of Americans overweight and about half of them meeting the criteria for obesity, it is no wonder that the Dr. Richard Carmona, the n US Surgeon General declared an obesity epidemic. The many ways and methods advertised for a seemingly ‘magical’ weight loss have only added to the abundance of confusion and misunderstanding about weight and hunger management. The many pills, supplements, diets, workout plans and wonder-drugs have only added to the confusion about what to eat, how much to eat, and how to use physical activity. Most individuals struggling with weight issues are drowning in information and starved for wisdom and results.
Face it, it is confusing… if you are looking on the ‘outside’ for the one correct method. But if you are willing to approach weight loss and hunger management from the ‘inside’ using your mind-body to clear and light the way, you may be surprised at the results you can achieve safely and simply.
The food we have available today is not the food our grandparents and their parents grew and ate. We now eat foods that came from commercial agri-industrial production thousands of miles away, and fewer nutrients than ever.
Medical Hypnosis can help you remove the barriers to enjoying your perfect weight, naturally and simply.
So, how does medical hypnosis (remember ALL hypnosis is self-hypnosis) and clinical hypnotherapy help you lose weight? Here are a few of the ways hypnosis can help you access to your mind-body connection to boost your desire to enjoy the self-discipline and changes you apply to lose weight:
- Creating the mental and physical relaxation that neutralizes the way stress affects your eating behavior and metabolism.
- Creating changes in food choices, food and taste preferences, and portion sizes.
- Subconsciously intensifying your awareness of a satisfying fullness from nutrient-dense food.
- Putting your subconscious (aka your mind-body) to work uncovering and revealing the emotional and behavioral factors that have put the weight on you and have sabotaged your efforts to remove it.
- Rehearsing simple ways to mentally control, lessen, and remove cravings for the wrong food choices and enhancing a safe craving for foods that will give your body what it needs to be healthy and to feel full without the weight gain.
- Changing patterns of behavior that are now operating without your conscious awareness into mindfull and compassionate ways to nourish your body, your emotions, and a body you are loving.
- Creating a love affair with food that is slimming you while nourishing your vitality and health.
- Changing your palate to enjoy new flavors and textures, and ridding yourself of the commercial chemicals and additives that actually keep you eating and hungry when it is actually undermining your wellness.
- And many more than these touched upon above.
Our bodies produce hormones that tell our brain when we have consumed enough nourishment. And our bodies also create hormones that tell us when and what we need to eat to obtain the nourishment your body needs. If you are eating non-foods, now called ‘edible food-like substances’, you body receives a false message. If you use so-called diet beverages and industrial-produced artificial sweetners, you are being fooled. Research has shown that drinkers of diet beverages actually gain weight. And restrictive eating and dieting just do not work.
My friend and colleague, Dr. Andrew Weil says,
"Dieting is not the answer to keeping weight down. As you have heard many times, almost all people who diet to lose weight regain it (and more). Instead, you need to change long-term patterns of eating and physical activity. Hunger management is key. New patterns of eating must satisfy both physical hunger and the need for sensory pleasure from food."
My wife, Joy, is a behavioral nutritionist and she and I were commissioned by Ms. Tami Simon, founder and CEO of Sounds True, Inc. to come up with a program of using the power of medical hypnosis and behavioral nutrition to help individuals lose weight sensibly, naturally, and effectively. As the publisher, she chose the title, "The Self-Hypnosis Diet" to convey the focus on clinical hypnotherapy for weight loss. However, in on page three of the foreword by Dr. Andrew Weil, he says,
The Self-Hypnosis Diet is not a "diet" at all. The Gurgeviches recommend not being a dieter or "restricted eater.”They base this recommendation on research that has conclusively shown dieting to be less effective for weight loss than changing behaviors to achieve health.
What we have created is a book (with CD) that will teach you self-hypnosis and use hypnosis to help you uncover unconscious barriers to weight loss, change taste and preferences of palate back to healthy nutrient-dense foods that are rich with real flavors and packed with vibrant life that you and your body will love. In fact, we even have a chapter on creating a love affair with food. The book is filled with case studies that I know you will relate to if you have ‘tried’ to lose weight, many tips and ideas we box and label throughout the book as ‘motivation makers’, ‘nourishing affirmations’, ‘belief boosters’, and comments by others using these methods called, ‘in their words’.
Overall, our methods of using medical hypnosis and clinical hypnotherapy for weight loss are based on a simple, compassionate, sensible and natural ways to create a life-long pattern of physical activity (living) that will support your health, pleasure from eating, and achieve your perfect weight. You know what you have to lose... and it is time to lose it and gain back your health, body image, and healthy love affair with food.
Steven Gurgevich PhD
Behavioral Medicine, Ltd.